North Coast Academy of Sport (NCAS) is one of eleven regional academies throughout NSW. Supported by NSW Government – Office of Sport and Southern Cross University, NCAS undertakes the identification and development of talented junior AFLW athletes on the North Coast of NSW.
The Academy’s AFLW Program was established in 2016 with the major goal being to assist the individual development of each athlete to maximize their potential in the sport. The 2021-22 program will commence in October 2021 and run to April 2022.
NCAS and AFL North Coast have worked closely to develop this program with the aim to assist our athletes towards the next step in their AFLW careers. The program will include squads of U14 and U16 female athletes in combined sessions within the North Coast. These sessions focus on skills and fitness development, culminating in the Academy Cup, a 12-a-side tournament, co-hosted by the Regional Academies of Sport and Sydney Swans Academy. The program will also provide athletes with an ancillary sports education program – including sports nutrition, injury prevention & management, sports psychology, athlete brand & media, and drug awareness.
The program will provide coaching, training, and competition to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Develop the fundamental skill level of athletes as well as providing education and personal development opportunities, which will enhance their opportunities for selection in NSW Junior Teams;
- Prepare athletes to a level where their transition to Sydney Swans Academy is seamless in terms of programs or pathways;
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events in Female AFL competition nationwide;
- Provide coach development opportunities for Academy coaches and other suitable support personnel in the region.
In line with the current NSW Government Health Orders, the following Covid-19 rules will apply whilst at NCAS events;
- Anyone aged 16yrs and over will be required to present proof of vaccination status upon arrival.
- Masks must be worn when entering and exiting indoor venues.
- Masks must be worn when not on the court/engaging in physical activity in indoor venues.
- No spectators allowed – NCAS events and training will remain closed to spectators.
Athlete applications for AFLW 2021-22 are now CLOSED